Sorry I have done a horrible job updating this blog. Well let me bring you up to date.
November: I turned 24 on the 23rd! I had a really good birthday. My Jake always know what to get me! (cute boots, my sisters keeper dvd, the song (nicholas sparks book), and a tom tom) November was also a very stressful month with it being really my last month of school. I had to do a lot of projects for school and start studying for exams!

December: started off with finals, which by the way out of all 6 the lowest score I received was a 85! So I definitely had kicked it into high gear! December 16th I picked up my cap and gown, walking away from the SAC with my graduation gear it started to really hit me, that I Dalyn Harrison was about to be done with school!! That night I went to graduation rehearsal. My parents took me down there. (It was at the Kentucky International Convention Center..downtown) and I HATE driving downtown! The next day was the day of graduation. It was very exciting! Almost surreal! Neither one of my parents had gone to college except my dad for a semester, so it was quite an accomplishment for me to receive a Bachelors Degree! We had dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory before graduation.
At dinner my parents gave me my gifts. Before I opened any gifts there were letters I had to read for each one. The first one was address as 'The Past' in this letter my mom wrote: This gift is being presented to you because of the resemblance between you and the person who first wore this as a symbol of her love. She was my Mamaw and she was one of the most special women in my life. She was so artistic, silly, loving and much like "A breath of fresh air." Everyone who knew her would never forget her. She was their sweet and cute "Lisbeth" (Myrtle Elizabeth Thompson
Copeland). You are so much like her.
Copeland). You are so much like her. This ring was left by my Mamaw to your Aunt Diane through all of her love and kindness offered the ring to me, she knew I would cherish it. I think this is the perfect time for you to have this ring and know how much I love you. What you have accomplished means so much to me. I know my Mamaw, my Mother, Aunt Diane, and myself are PROUD that you have achieved this high level of education.
- Needless to say I was absolutely stunned and grateful that I received my great grandma's wedding ring.
My next gift was the Present. My parents gave me a beautiful charm bracelet. On it is a dog (molly), engagement ring, the inital D, graduation cap, the word 'daughter', cat (bella)...Very cute and thoughtful! I can't wait to add wedding bells and a house to it!
My last gift was from my dad and it started with a letter from him for the future:
Dalyn,
As you complete college and earn your bachelors degree I can't tell you how proud we are of you. You will only know how happy your mother and I are about you accomplishments when you yourself have a daughter (or son) that reaches this point in their life. Honestly, it makes me so happy to say to other that "my daughter graduated from Uof L" You should be very proud of yourself. Only 16% of Americans have earned their bachelor's degree, and only 9% have earned graduate or professional degrees. You are among a small group of people who have achieved what you have achieved.
I know it took some time but just think "George Bush is still alive" You laugh but it hasn't been all that long ago since you were three foot tall and stood up on the couch to whisper those words in my ear. You were so cute and you are so beautiful today.
Oh....Mom picked this "key necklace" for me to give to you ( she is always making me look good) and I am suppose to say something catchy to you about " a key" So here we go...
" Let your education be the KEY that opens many doors to your future"- unknown
"Knowledge is the KEY to financial independence"- Dave Ramsey
"The KEY to happiness is jewerly; no not jewerly; the KEY to happiness is Gwan"- Michael Cox
"The KEY is the KEY"- Yoda from Star Wars
"While this KEY on the necklace is not a real KEY, it is a reminder to "don't forget your keys"- Mom
Okay, I took some liberty with making up quotes for others. I think that's enough at being funny. Back to something more serious....a few quotes follwed by some fatherly advice that I hope that you find helpful in your FUTURE.
"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else."
More often than not people get comfortable after they graduate. Yes, you deserve a break after so many years of school. Take it. Enjoy yourself. Don't get so comfortable that you wish you had done something different. Don't let a break turn into a life. Don't fail to put your degree to work. Know where you want to be and when you want to be there. Make a plan. Follow your plan to where you want to go.
"Oppotunity rarely knocks on your door. Knock rather on opportunity's door if you wish to enter."
What you want will not come to you. You have to want it bad enough to go and get it. Tou know this now through the dedication that you have demonstrated in completing college. Others know this about you now. If an opportunity does not come your way, know that you are capable of finding them on your own and making your dreams come true if you want badly enough to commit yourself to them.
"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
Don't forget family and friends in your life. These relationships require nurturing. To have friends you must be a good friend. To have family you must participate in family. This will require that you provide support to others, often at time that are inopportune for you... If you make time for family and friends they will continue to be there for you; especially when you need them the most.
Dalyn, congratulations. You have reached a very important milestone in you life.
Love you always,
DAD
"The best thing that ever happened to you"
(I'll quit saying this once you are married)
Man, I have a hard time typing that without getting watery eyed! I know this is like the longest blog ever but I wanted to include the letters in here. They mean so much to me.
So moving on to Christmas. I was very lucky this year Christmas Eve and Christmas Day fell on Jake's off days! So Christmas Eve we went over to my dad house, it was his 50th bday! We had a good time over there. It was nice seeing everyone and some yummy food! Christmas morning was at my parents house. My brothers always get up at the crack of dawn. It was probably my first early Christmas morning. Jake got over there around 8:45 am. Once again my sugar spoiled me, (Jessica Simpson purse, Dior Cherie perfume, cute boots, & tons of DVD's,) His birthday is the day after Christmas. So I just give him all his gifts on Christmas day usually. I gave him a fossil watch, tickets to Rodney Carrington show, Call of Duty, some DVD's, and a TiVO- which we both love!! His parents gave him a new TV for his room! and gave us both a really cute kitchen table which I have already taken the liberty of decorating!
This kind of brings us to where we are now. I got to thinking about our living situations when we are married. We originally had planned on getting a 2bdrm loft apt in the complex he is at now. But after looking at how much it cost per month with the additional cost of pet fee's and rent. I am now wanting to look for a house. So we have been house hunting the past few weeks. There is a cute lil
house that is a foreclosure nearby my house. We are planning on going to the bank this week to see what we are pre-approved for.
house that is a foreclosure nearby my house. We are planning on going to the bank this week to see what we are pre-approved for. On top of that, I am really struggling with finding a job!! Ahhh!! I have applied for probably 12 jobs I kid you not! I think my plan is to stay with UPS until we get married (so I will be under his insurance) Unless I find a job that will provide benefits right away! I had an interview with Baptist East this past week. I cannot say I am that confident. Only reason really for this, is because I believe they are looking for someone with their Masters or more experience. So only time will tell!
Alright fellow bloggers/snoopers haha I believe I have written a novel! :)
I Love your blog! That is so sweet about your Mammaw's ring!!!
ReplyDelete